Friday, January 16, 2015

Rhapsodizing About Runza

"Do you have Runza there?" I remember Ryon asking me that. Nope, never heard of that, I responded. Must be a Nebraska thing like the cheese frenchee. Second thing I thought was what a horrible name for a restaurant.



Well, now I'm here and I have to tell you I love Runza. It's a Russian German thing, a roll filled with a ground beef, onion and cabbage mixture and I for one, think it's delicious. I'm hooked. I've had it twice since I've been here, the plain Runza and the Swiss Mushroom, which is my favorite so far.



The Runza restaurant chain now has hamburgers, crinkle fries (also awesome!) and onion rings too. Also shakes. But the Runza Sandwich is what it's all about. (Not sure that it's world famous.)



If you're in Nebraska, you have to try it. It's a remnant of the 'Germans from Russia' heritage here (there's even a museum) and it's a really great regional food that has lasted quite a while. 'Scuse me while I take a bite.

One last note: they have this thing called 'Temperature Tuesday' where you can buy a Runza sandwich for the price of whatever the temperature was at 10AM on Tuesday morning all day long. When the temparature is 9 degrees, that's a pretty good bargain there.

No comments:

Post a Comment